[mythtv-users] Customizing a recording rule

Ross Boylan rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu May 26 20:14:19 UTC 2016

I have a recording rule which turns out to be overly broad; I want to
restrict it to only record the show on one channel.

If I edit the existing rule in the usual way and select filters, this
channel  only, it is ineffective.  I assume that is because "this
channel" means the channel on which the show is being broadcast now,
the channel I want to avoid.

Try 2: Recording Rules | highlight the rule I want to modify.  Hit M
and select Custom Edit.  The box that pops up says "Create a Custom
Recording Rule", which seemed odd since I want to modify the existing
rule.  In the "Rule SQL" field, which is pretty small, I added my
modification ("and program.chanid = 1051") and hit Store.  It offers 2
choices, "replace as search" and "replace as an example", neither of
which sounds right.  I tried replace as search, as well as hitting the
"record" button instead of "store", but nothing seems to affect the
rule.  When I  go back to it the SQL in custom edit is unchanged, and
the programs still show up to record.

What do I need to do to make this work?  Are rules with custom SQL
somehow a different type of rule, so that I must create a new one and
delete the old?

Also, I couldn't find a table that seemed to hold the recording rules
in the database.  I'd appreciate a pointer.

Running Myth 0.27 with the Arclight theme (I think--not sure how to
tell for sure).

Thanks.
Ross Boylan