[mythtv-users] tips on auto-transcoding a recording?

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 23:09:25 UTC 2016

Hi James,

I doubt this will be doable in time for you to leave on your trip, but
there's two scripts I've adapted that I have had *some* success with. One
I've recently got to work is called "Handofmyth.sh
<http://pastebin.com/i15qdGpq>"

It requires quite a bit of setup and working on - so may not help you
before tomorrow.
It uses handbrake to do the beefy part of the transcoding and the options
contained within the script for handbrake yield a pretty decent quality
.mp4 file thats between 1/3rd and 1/2 the size of the original, but on my
system it takes about 20 hours to run and my combo desktop frontend /
backend struggles a lot so I decided it's not worth the time.

I am not aware of any "mythtranscode" settings that significantly reduce
the size of a recording, but I am only now getting around to experimenting
with it. My current settings yield a file size only reduced by the about of
commercials it cuts out, so they wouldn't help you.

The other script I've used in the past was called "my_myth_transcoder.sh"
-- I used that a few years ago, but it also used handbrake and would take
several hours to complete for an hour long 1080i mpeg2 recording and the
results were a bit disappointing. (Sorry I couldn't locate a URL from my
notes).

For your purposes it might be fine since you mentioned you weren't
interested in high quality but instead quick and dirty streaming.

I am sure there is a solution, but probably not one you can implement
overnight.

And then there's the issue of getting it to run automatically for a given
recording rule. I never had any success getting that to work, but since it
was such a strain for my system to do the trans-coding I decided it wasn't
worth the effort.

Good luck!

George

-- George