[mythtv-users] WHERE IS THE JSON GRABBER? Was "xmltv and atlas grabber"

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun May 22 20:33:50 UTC 2016

On 22/05/16 20:52, Neil Bird wrote:
> On 22/05/16 18:13, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> One point I always thought was odd was having a separate .xmltv file
>> which always had to be kept in step with the database. Why couldn't this
>> be generated as part of the mythfilldatabase process, thus ensuring the
>> contents were always up to date? Is this a consequence of having most of
>> the developers based in North America and thus not aware of the
>> potential issues?
>
>   I'm not sure about this now, and also not sure how it sits with the way SD works.  In principal, I
> could have one SD config. file now (in fact, always could with RT) listing all possible channels,
> and do one fetch on that;  it would save duplication of download for those channels in both.
>
>   TBH, I really don't know what the side-effects might be if I told Myth that my Freeview and Sky
> inputs used th same “source”.  It would certainly simplify things.
>
>   It was my next thing to investigate.  The Wiki documentation implies that “sources” really are
> only to do with listings.

Nope. A source defines the way your tuners work, roughly. Channels are tied to sources and the
tuning information for each channel is held in the channel record.

This means that if you have a Freeview channel BBC1, say, and a Sky version of BBC1, then they will
require different information in order to be tuned.

A single source can be associated with a number of tuners, in order to record more than one thing at
a time, but the tuners must all use the same tuning parameters.

--

Mike Perkins