[mythtv-users] WHERE IS THE JSON GRABBER? Was "xmltv and atlas grabber"

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun May 22 15:34:58 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Thomas Boehm
<mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net> wrote:
> Is it really enough to just use the StationID as xmltvid? My xmltvid's
> have the format I30644.json.schedulesdirect.org, because that was the
> format the grabber automatically assigned to channels it found.

The xmltv "standard" is that the xmltvid should(*) be
an RFC 2838 value(**).  If it is not, the xmltv validator will
not "validate" the output.  However, the actual value
in MythTV (and AFAIK other apps) do not actually
care.  So as long as the value is appropriately unique,
and consistent, all works.

(*) It is a "should", not a "must", which has specific
implications in the RFC language, but no matter....

(**) Part of the issue here is that RFC 2838 is
a proposal that, in practice, did not achieve
wide implementations, and never had wide
agreement in values.  Part of that was that
the RFC did not request/require that IANA
register those numbers.  So people just "made
them up".  In most cases, again, it does not
matter as long as a grabber is consistent within
itself.