[mythtv-users] OT: A major difference between Widows and Linux

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Thu May 12 09:50:51 UTC 2016

Having been a windows user since 3.0 (yes there really was) and a self
taught 'nix user since Fedora 4 (I remember the days of having to
pretty much compile every app needed), I can say the largest
'debugging' difference is the level of information you can get from
the two OSs.  In Windows often you get a BSOD and can only do post
reboot analysis of the dump.....whereas in 'nix I very very very
seldom see an app kill the OS....thus allowing 'real time' analysis of
what's going on still.

This can be critical in identifying and solving a problem.

I think it also important in your 'mindset' that you differentiate
between app generated issues and OS generated issues......sometimes in
Windows an app will just keep crashing until you do a reboot and it
can be quite difficult to even identify the cause.