[mythtv-users] mythtv icons in Mate and mythweb not showing up

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu May 12 00:06:48 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 06:33 PM, George Bingham wrote:
> Regarding the mythweb tv icons...
>
> I do have the symlink in /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/data that points
> to /var/cache/mythweb/image_cache and in that directory there are a number
> of .png files corresponding to the icons that still appear as broken image
> links in mythweb.

I'd remove the link. Make sure that /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/data can be
written to. In my case, it looks like this:

$ ls -la
total 12
drwxrwxr-x  3 mythtv www-data 4096 Apr 13  2012 .
drwxr-xr-x 10 root   root     4096 Jan  7 16:31 ..
drwxrwxr-x  2 mythtv www-data 4096 Feb  7 18:52 tv_icons

> When right click on one of those broken images and select "open image in
> new tab", I get a new tab with a blank square in the upper right hand
> corner, but the URL appears to be correct (e.g.
> http://localhost/mythweb/data/tv_icons/kshb41_kansas.png )

And I'd delete all files there, or at least move them to some safe place
because you found they're not images. tv_icons is just a cache used by mythweb.
The icons there will be regenerated as they are missing.

You've earlier said that the icons in mythfrontend are OK. It may be
that those are cached images though.

> I *thought* those files were generated when I was in the channel editor in
> mythtv-setup, and clicked on the 'channel icon' button. I only found a few
> - like for the major networks, but not for their sub-channels.

The files generated when downloading icons are stored in ~mythtv/.mythtv/channels
unless you run mythtv-setup as a user other than mythtv. Truth be told, I've done
that and then moved the icons from ~/.mythtv/channels/* to ~mythtv/.mythtv/channels.

The one and only way to test this (and the way the frontend, mythweb and WebFrontend
get icons) is:

     http:/<yourBackend>:6544/Guide/GetChannelIcon?ChanId=<oneOfYourChannelIDs>

If that fails, then you don't have icons setup correctly per the Wiki.

--
Bill