[mythtv-users] Hide encrypted dvb channels.

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon May 9 18:18:30 UTC 2016

On 09/05/16 18:26, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Jarle Thorsen <jarlethorsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, any other way to hide encrypted channels? Not sure why the channel
>> scanner has an option to test decryption, but does nothing to skip encrypted
>> channels?
>
> Defined "hide".  There is a "visible" flag for a
> channel, but it just makes the channel not visible
> from the guide (and selection by the BUSQ, as
> I recall).  Someone may still select it explicitly.
>
> btw, encryption (for any particular channel) may,
> in some cases, come and go.  And while your
> provider may always encrypt a particular channel,
> that is not a universal implementation, so some
> do what the channel to be available for future
> access.
>
> As discussed recently in another thread, while
> visible=0 is often adequate, there have been
> some wishes (but no patches) for a more
> complete "hide" capability (although apparently
> no one actually wants it enough to invest effort
> in writing/submitting any code).

In the UK certain Freeview channels are effectively subscription only, in that they can only be
viewed if you poke a smartcard into the DVB STB. These are encrypted.

In this case, one would never be able to view them using myth and a DVB card. However, it seems to
me that in this case one could simply delete the channels from the channel list.

I'm not sure if this has repercussions, in that one then does not have the contents of that
multiplex completely described. Is the driver smart enough to ignore such channels?

--

Mike Perkins