[mythtv-users] Upgraded to 16.04 and MythTV 0.28 - now cannot ID capture card

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 02:19:12 UTC 2016

Hey all,

Well, I am able to tune in some stations....

Even though mythtv-setup says that it's not able to open the card, my
HVR-2255 is working in the frontend sometimes.

I was surprised to discover that I was still getting current program guide
(I use EIT for my program guide) which I assumed would not work if it
couldn't open the card, so when I attempted again to switch to a specific
channel, it worked.

Tuning is hit or miss, but I am currently watching Person of Interest! ;-)

Here is what lspci reports for this card:

04:00.0 Multimedia controller [0480]: Philips Semiconductors SAA7164
[1131:7164] (rev 81)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. SAA7164 [0070:f111]
        Memory at df400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at df800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Capabilities: [40] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/16 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [50] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [7c] Vendor Specific Information: Len=84 <?>
        Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0000 Rev=0
Len=060 <?>
        Capabilities: [160] Virtual Channel
        Kernel driver in use: saa7164
        Kernel modules: saa7164

So it seems to be supported by the kernal and like I said earlier, the
firmware is loading at boot time as expected. So, drivers and firmware
loaded OK, and it worked in my earlier patched kernel on MythTV 0.27, I am
thinking this is a bug in 0.28.

Anyone else experiencing capture card wierdness in 0.28?

Advice on working through getting this to be recognized by mythtv setup?

Thanks!

-- George