[mythtv-users] HD PVR 2 and mythtv

John McEntee jmcentee9 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:50:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Mike Carron <jmcarron at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 03/31/2016 06:30 AM, John McEntee wrote:
>

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>

>> On March 31, 2016 2:06:07 PM GMT+02:00, Gary Buhrmaster <
>> gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >And at (something near) $1000/unit, it is not
>> >likely to be of interest to many, and if there
>> >were many willing to commit to that level,
>>
>> Yeah that kinda kills a home application. Are you saying these do not
>> support HDCP?
>>

> This one is £180
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edision-HDMI-Modulator-Full-Distribution-Black/dp/B00KBXKJ2A
>
> and this thread
> https://www.avforums.com/threads/edision-modulator.1963912/  a guys
> mentions the HDCP does not need to be removed for it to work.
>
> The seller doesn't deliver to the U.S. according to Amazon. The avforums
> link also has a line saying the splitter removes the HDCP.

I took the line above

"There is no need for a splitter, but if you really want to split the HDMI
before the modulator then I would recommend the one I have."
and the line
"That splitter I mentioned removes HDCP so will work with anything (the
modulator does not need it)"
to mean  than a splitter to remove the HDCP was not needed for the edision.

It seems most the newer hdmi modulators in the UK that do HD are DVB-T2 and
therefore encode to mpeg4 and need a dvb-t2 freeview hd tv to view.

What you need in the USA I can't be bothered to google, but you probably
want an ATSC one.