[mythtv-users] Comcast MPEG4 requirements?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:45:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> I stopped updating my firmware after some whining that some feature or other was interfering. I think I'm on a 2014 version.

There was a Cisco implementation(*) of a CableLabs requirements
change that could cause issues with some providers and
(especially) software that was not protected path compliant.  A
later CableLabs requirements change (effectively) mitigated the
issue, but it does require updated firmware to (at least) a 2015
version (for both Ceton and SiliconDust) to address it if you are
in a location which uses Cisco CableCARDs (in the (much
greater) Bay Area, I think that may only be more towards Santa
Cruz).

In any case, if it ain't broke, do not fix it.  AFAIK there are no
documented breakages with the later production HDHR firmwares
(and, as with all else, a number of bugs were fixed, and features
introduced; the most interesting to me were improved logging
which could be used to correlate certain tuning failures (the
logs now show the associated tuner for certain operations,
which can be valuable when things go sideways, and they
always will eventually go sideways), and the new json lineup
features makes it much easier to perform some testing and
other automation).

(*) Technically any CableCARD could have done the same
thing, but only Cisco actually ever implemented the allowed
changes.