[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi 2+ MythFrontend Setup Tutorial

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Mar 25 19:26:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 25/03/16 04:40, Andrew Potter wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have followed the tutorial to get the myth-tv frontend onto a RPI3.
>>
>> All seems to go well until I run
>>
>> QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb\
>>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-rpi/lib\
>>   QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/mythtv-rpi/plugins\
>>   ~/mythtv-rpi/bin/mythfrontend -w -geometry 1920x1080 -p
>>
>> In response I get
>> QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
>> Aborted
>>
>> I am using mythtv-v0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d-RPI2-jessie.tar.bz2
>>
>> And 2016-02-26-raspbian-jessie.zip
>>
>> I can see the command line on the screen. I get the same results whether
>> issued via ssh or directly with a keyboard on the pi itself.
>>

>> Thanks for any help given and thanks for creating the tutorial.
>>
>> Andrew Potter

> You need to have X running i.e. boot to GUI when using xcb (XCB ("X C
> Binding") is an low-level API for the X window server).
>
> From the console prompt you can type startx (this will start the X GUI)
> and then run the mythfrontend command from a terminal within the GUI.

Even better... boot to terminal, then run "startx /path/to/mythfrontend"

This will start a X session without any window manager or other overhead...
it will just run the frontend.

I created a script that sets the envrionment variables and runs the above
command, then set that script to run automatically in my .bashrc like so
(the if statements prevent it from running when you SSH in):

if [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
   ./xStartMyth.sh
fi