[mythtv-users] How does LiveTV recording group work?

steve stevenospam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 01:05:26 UTC 2016

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 7:36 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/23/2016 01:04 AM, steve wrote:

>>> Watch Recordings, MENU (once or twice)|Change Group Filter, then select Live TV (or any other Recording Group).
>>>
>>> Also, there's Watch Recordings, MENU (once or twice)|Change Group View, in which you can select all the things to show in the left-hand column of Watch Recordings (kind of a quick-access filter), including titles, categories, Recording Groups, Watch List, Live TV, ...

>>> In Watch Recordings, select the desired show, then MENU (once or twice)|Storage Options|Change Recording Group, then select the desired Recording Group in which to place the recording.
>>
>> Thank you Mike this is exactly what I wanted to know.   I had no idea about the double pressing of Menu and had missed those choices.
>
> Yes, it used to be that you used MENU to get a menu of options that applied to the screen or area of MythTV and you used SELECT to get the "right-click"/context/action menu for the specific item you had selected.  Then some users got all upset that, "There shouldn't be 2 buttons for menu," so (in some places in MythTV, but not all) changes were made such that MENU is used to get the screen menu and also used to get the item actions.  This means that you don't necessarily get the one you want--unless you know exactly what's going on and are willing to work around the system--so you have to press MENU twice to get to the right one.  And, to make matters worse, it's not intuitive (case in point, you had no idea that pressing MENU a second time would do something different), and it's very difficult to explain a consistent approach to doing something in MythTV.  But, hey, now we don't have 2 buttons for menus (except where we still do)!!!
>
> If you look closely, you'll notice that one of the menus is nothing but modifications to the screen (view changes and such) and the other is actions that can be performed on the selected item.  You can actually get the one you want in Watch Recordings by positioning the cursor in the proper column.  If you want the screen menu, go to the group list (usually in the left hand column in Watch Recordings) and hit MENU.  If you want the action list for a specific recording, go to the recording (usually in the right hand column in Watch Recordings) and hit MENU.  However, it's a lot easier to just say, "Hit MENU (once or twice)," and hope that the user will be able to find the next-mentioned option.
>
>>   I enabled the Live TV folder to display in the left hand pane and that works great.  And successfully moved a show from group to group.   thanks!

> [...]

Thanks. OK, I pretty much get the LiveTV.  My big question was really how to access it in mythv, and how to move show from LiveTV to Default... which you helped me, I could only see it easily in Kodi before, and couldnt move categories at all.

"There shouldn't be 2 buttons for menu,"    Interesting history.   lol. So now we have secret hidden menus.  Its like sjobs classic resistance to a 2 button mouse, so now we don't have an easily exposed context menu.   Likewise, Apple now doubles down on the invisible overloaded functionality with 'force press/hard press", so now its like a secret triple click.