[mythtv-users] Recordings start & end 10 seconds too soon, on all channels

steve stevenospam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 23:47:44 UTC 2016

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 7:14 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/23/2016 01:26 AM, steve wrote:
>> On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:34 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
>>> i use those settings in mythtv-setup, along with the 'avoid back-to-back recordings on same tuner'. I cant remember where this setting is or it's exact wording but it's close enough; i think in mythtv-setup. Works well and not seen any issues with recordings since i set it up this way.
>> Thanks.  I just noticed this setting too.  Do you keep it at "Always" or "Different Channels"?  I'm thinking of putting it on "Always" but not totally sure.
>>
>> Also I don't understand how this setting in the front end.  Is this FE setting really just setting an option in the backend?
>
> The way it was meant to work is that any settings that required a backend restart existed in mythtv-setup (which tells you to--and in some distros automatically does for you--shut down the backend before making changes), and any settings that didn't require a backend restart existed in the can-be-run-from-any-client-at-any-time-without-interruption-of-any-recordings-or-other-MythTV-activity mythfrontend settings editor.  Note that the real name is "mythfrontend settings editor" (though even I often leave out the word editor because it's just more to type).
>
> However, some people over the years got all disturbed by the fact that "backend settings exist in mythfrontend" and so some of the settings were moved to mythtv-setup such that now you have to start up mythtv-setup--which implies (since people actually do things properly and don't do dangerous things) you'll shut down your backend, which means you can't change these innocuous settings while recording or that doing so will cause breaks in your recordings.
>
> I guess this is progress.  At least users are happy.  And now that it's harder to use MythTV than it needed to be, why wouldn't they be?
>
> Mike

Thank you, very interesting.

As a newbie, it instantly confused me because when I make any number of changes in the FE, I have to stop and guess if what I am changing is local to that client or actually a backend setting.
I do understand what you are saying about it being desirable to change settings without upsetting other clients or shutting down the db.

I know its easy to play armchair QB after the fact, I guess in an ideal world, (and with my limited knowledge of myth-- i could be totally wrong here),  i would so far prefer to see it work as 2 apps as so:
  1)  a FE *only* app, with zero BE settings in it, as to not confuse my mental model of what are global settings and what affects clients only, and
  2) a "myth-control-panel" as it were. Then, inside here would be dozens of sub-icons, such as:
     a)  lots of icons/choices for  those things you mentioned: "in the can-be-run-from-any-client-at-any-time-without-interruption-of-any-recordings-or-other-MythTV-activity"
     b)  a sole icon called "backend -- warning this stops the db, blah blah"....  which is an icon/tab for the more dangerous BE settings which require disconnection from other clients.

It sounds like you are saying that there was/is some kind of settings app, or perhaps the settings app got merged into the FE at some time.   I don't understand what you mean when you say te real name of what is "mythfrontend settings editor"?