[mythtv-users] Freezing/Pixelating

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:49:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Gabriel Kuri <gkuri at ieee.org> wrote:
> That's why I have a hard time believing it's the drive/disks, but before I
> go looking at the HD Homerun Prime, I want to make sure it's not something
> else.

Random thoughts:

Note that microbursts can result in lost packets even in
what otherwise seems like an "idle" network for many
consumer switches.

Be sure you have the most recent drivers for your
ethernet device.  As another thread indicated, there are
some ethernet devices on some platforms that actually
run best at 100Mb/s (and fail at gigabit speeds).

While the supplied HDHR Prime power supplies are better than
some, try replacing the power brick with something equivalent,
as a failing power supply can result in various pixelation issues
(and the earlier gen HDHRs were notorious with their power
supplies failing).  SiliconDust sells official replacement
power supplies for a nominal price, but they also provide
(on their forums) the details for compatible supplies should
you want to acquire locally.  If you have more than a few
external power brick devices, you likely have something to
test with (from memory, do not use without checking on
their site, you need 5V at 2.5A (higher amps OK) for
production (and for limited testing, you can get away with
a 2A supply as long as your do not use a USB powered
TA (AFAIK none as USB powered, but.....)).

In addition, there is a (proposed) feature patch in trac to collect
(and optionally report) additional streaming information for a
HDHR.  That (might) provide some hints as to whether the
fault is the source or the network or your system.  You can try
applying the patch to your copy of the source and see what
you see:  https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11565