[mythtv-users] Recordings start & end 10 seconds too soon, on all channels

Jim lists at morton.hrcoxmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:26:44 UTC 2016

On 3/22/2016 1:37 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/22/2016 01:00 PM, Jim wrote:
>> On 3/22/2016 7:25 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> For example, modifying your listings grabber such that you can
>>> pre-process the listings before insertion into the database
>>
>> Can anyone provide an example of such a hack?
>>
>> I would like to do this to blank out channels that are hidden. Hiding
>> them keeps them out of the guide but they still populate the db where
>> Program Finder and other searches list them.
>
> Why not just delete the channels, and if you have a non-scannable
> input type (i.e. OCUR/CableCARD tuner or Firewire or analog (HD-PVR or
> ivtv or ...) or ...), add to "Guide data arguments" (in mythtv-setup)
> the --remove-new-channels argument so that mythfilldatabase doesn't
> add the channels.  And, regardless of your input type, removing the
> unwanted channels from your Schedules Direct lineup or XMLTV
> configuration would mean they wouldn't be re-added, anyway.
>
> Why have the channels (and, potentially their data) in your database,
> slowing things (scheduling, searching, ...) down if you don't want them?
>
> Mike

My apologies for veering this thread off on a tangent.

My specific use case is with Dish TV where we get free weekends of some
premium channels every couple of months. Currently I have those channels
selected on Schedules Direct and hidden in Mythtv. It is too much
trouble to add them for a weekend and then delete them. When Dish
announces a free weekend I just un-hide them in the channel editor and
setup recording rules. One drawback of this is that sometimes myth will
choose a later showing that is outside the free weekend window
preferring another show on a another channel that I get all the time.
Another drawback is that all those channels shows are in the db and show
up in the finder and in searches.

I want to be able to define a window for certain channels and then all
programming outside that window will be removed from the SD file and
never make into the db. Then Myth will only display and can only choose
to record those shows that are actually available. Dish has recently
started notifying us a week in advance of these free weekends. Currently
I have to wait until late Friday to un-hide the channels, review the
upcoming shows and setup recording rules. Then remember Monday morning
to go hide those channels again and anything still scheduled on those
channels just gets missed. If I can do what I want then when Dish
announces a free weekend then I just edit a script with the start and
end date and times for certain channels and after the next mfdb run I'll
be able to schedule recordings at my leisure.

Jim