[mythtv-users] Kodi

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 17:37:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 18/03/16 16:29, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
>
> On 03/18/2016 10:22 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
>
> On a Raspberry Pi 2, Kodi does not do well with MPEG-TS files as recorded
>> by MythTV. Audio sync is poor and becomes terrible if you use skip-forward
>> or skip back. I don't know if that is an issue with Kodi on other
>> platforms. There is a bug log in Kodi for that.
>>
>> Peter

> I will disagree I have code running on a pi 2 with kodi and a mythbackend
> and have no such issues, works fine and plays everything I throw at it.
> The menus can be a little pokie and updating is slow but it works fine as a
> dvr at least for me. :)
>

> Perhaps you are not recording MPEG-TS, or never use skip back or skip
> forward (left arrow, right arrow). The author of the mythtv plugin (janbar)
> acknowledges the bug and has pointed it out as a Kodi bug.
>
> See bug logs below:
> https://github.com/janbar/pvr.mythtv/issues/20
> http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16611
>
> There is also a test file attached which demonstrates the problem.
>
> Peter
>
> OK, now I understand! It is a commercial flagging issue within Kodi.
>
> I don't have commercial flagging running on my mythtv-backend, so would
> never see the issue.  I did try commercial flagging several years ago, but
> could never get it to work reliably in the UK. I gave up and just set left
> and right arrow to skip 30 seconds.

On right-arrow / left-arrow skips - those work quite well for me in Kodi.
They are not as lightning fast as they are in the MythTV frontend.    But,
that was after a bit of tweaking..  by default Kodi waits 750ms after
arrows are pressed to do its skip multiplier abilities.   I disabled that
so the skips are much quicker.   Audio sync works fine after the skips for
me.

In my environment, I have MPEG2-TS from HDHomeRun Prime.

I actually moved to Kodi after running into a bunch of issues on my
Atom/Ion MythTV frontend.   But, I’m not really a fan of Kodi UI/UX.  I’m
waiting for the Myth frontend on Pi2/Pi3 to mature a bit more and hopefully
switch back.