[mythtv-users] Kodi

Jack McGee jack at greendesk.net
Fri Mar 18 01:45:41 UTC 2016

On 03/17/2016 08:09 PM, Michelle Dupuis wrote:

> I've been hearing a lot about Kodi recently...and the enormous range
> of free content.  I don't understand where all those channels/content
> are coming from (perhaps it streams from your cable provider's web
> service)?  Hopefully not a massive pirate network like popcorn now
> available as a plugin...
>

> Can myth do the same?  Kodi is also very slick.  I've read a few
> comparisons from a year ago, but wow I'm wondering if it's time to
> relegate Myth to the backend only?
>

> Anyone have recent experience with Kodi?

I think both have their place.  I have KODI on a menu in Mythtv.

For me, KODI excels at internet content, the vast array of plug ins.
Mythtv excels at recorded content, both recording it (I don't think KODI
can) and playback (still better in Mythtv).  I like the simpler
interface in Mythtv better.  I like the music plug-in in MythTV better,
but listen to TuneIn Radio on KODI.

I think I might be able to get by using KODI as the Mythtv frontend, but
see no pressing reason to do so.