[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi 2+ MythFrontend Setup Tutorial Updated

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 07:50:46 UTC 2016

On 16/03/16 22:34, Greg Thompson wrote:

>> On Mar 14, 2016, at 2:47 PM, Greg Thompson <gthompson20 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:gthompson20 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to the work of Peter Bennett and Lawrence Rust I have been able
>>> to combine their work to create a new build of MythTV for the Raspberry
>>> Pi 2 or better.
>>>
>>> The build is available at:
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1iyhq6usqzalmg6/mythtv-v0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d-RPI2-jessie.tar.bz2?dl=0
>>>
>>> MD5SUM:
>>> 43dd1a86a25e0dec74655f60df245635
>>> mythtv-v0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d-RPI2-jessie.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> SHA1SUM:
>>> 7f6d6960417a57c622afb4ded1950b1647f7f973
>>> mythtv-v0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d-RPI2-jessie.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> The key differences from Peter's excellent debian packages are:
>>>
>>> - Includes MythTV suite of plugins
>>> - Enables EGLFS mode for rock-steady OSD with custom video
>>> playback profile
>>>
>>> The key difference from Lawrence's pioneering tarballs are:
>>>
>>> - Includes Peter's RPi fixes and enhancements
>>> - Built upon MythTV 0.27.6 instead of 0.27.5
>>>

>>> Installation of the new tarball is described in the updated
>>> MythFrontend
>>> Setup Tutorial. See:
>>>
>>> Setting Up an Inexpensive Raspberry Pi 2 as a Cheap Frontend to MythTV
>>> with MythFrontend
>>> http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend
>>>
>>> Curtis
>>

> Ok, Got my Pi3 today and I am happy to say that performance is better.
> However, I do see one issue and it is hard to describe. When the Pi3
> running Jessie boots to the Window environment the screen looks great
> and is not moving. When I run mythfrontend that Curtis built, the
> screen ever so slightly bounces. Its not just the video either.. The
> OSD, everything seems to slightly move every 3-4 seconds.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Anyone else see this?
>
> Greg

Not seeing your particular issue, I am running my own build of mythtv
fixes/028, so it could be a number of things.

As a first guess it could be video settings on your monitor/TV and/or
settings in /boot/config.txt. Can you provide more information ?

What is the output of running  "/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -s" in a terminal,
this gives current status of connection to your TV/monitor.

Running " /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m CEA" and " /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -m
DMT" will list all possible video modes for your TV/Monitor.

If possible set your TV/Monitor picture mode to "just scan" (i.e. not do
any processing. The actual name varies between TV/Monitor brands.

Also if using wifi try turning wlan0 Power management off (sudo iwconfig
wlan0 power off) from a terminal. This will temporarily turn off wifi
power management.

For a permanent fix in Raspbian Jessie create a file in
/etc/network/if-up.d/ named "wlan0-power-management-off" containing two
lines:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 power off

Give the file execute permission ( sudo chmod a+x
wlan0-power-management-off ), reboot the rpi3 and check power managment
is now off (iwconfig wlan0)

Mike