[mythtv-users] Storage group 'Types' (from bug 12680)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 16 10:47:09 UTC 2016

On 03/16/2016 05:12 AM, thigger wrote:
> I wasn't sure whether to go for here or -dev but hopefully enough
> interested people will see it here!
>
> Do you feel that storage groups should have 'types' eg Videos in the
> Videos group, LiveTV in the LiveTV group etc - or do you feel that
> storage groups should be more loosely defined - with users and the
> software free to put files in any group?
>
> It surprised me to find that the present behaviour is actually the
> latter - MythTV will go searching through any and all storage groups
> to find a file. This has potentially unwanted effects - eg keeping
> hard discs 'awake', and in my case waking up a remote fileserver. The
> main benefit is that you can stick a file literally anywhere, and so
> long as one of your storage groups points to it, MythTV will sniff out
> the file.
>
> See https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12680 for some info.
>
> I assume most people are unlikely to be too concerned about this and
> the present behaviour will remain. For what it's worth, I've globally
> disabled searching in inappropriate storage groups in my copy of
> 0.27-fixes and it's running fine so far. Just thought it was worth
> getting some other opinions; as to me it seems like strange behaviour.

Having types isn't something we can just say we have.  It requires a lot
of plumbing changes to the existing code to support the concept of SG
types--much more than the changes required to add an ability to request
no-fallback searches of SGs via RemoteFile, which (as I'm sure you've
noticed) requires quite a bit of code changes.

There is a plan to add support for SG types, but it requires someone to
write all the code, which requires time.  Before that code is there to
identify, enforce, and support SG types, making assumptions about what
is in the directories of an SG will only cause issues with (at least
some) users' systems.

Mike