[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi 2+ MythFrontend Setup Tutorial Updated

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:05:37 UTC 2016

On 16-03-15 07:51 AM, airdrummer wrote:
> my current status:
> version     gui/osd     video    audio
> v0.27.6-69-g41a2a8d    too large    scaled/placed correctly, but some
> stutter     dropouts
> v0.27.6-67-g070378a    just right    scaled to bring u/l onscreen, but
> l/r displaced up&left    dropouts

I think I may have a solution that will work for all monitors.

First, thank you to everyone who contributes to these mailing list
threads to get mythfrontend working well on the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
or better.  The availability of multiple builds combined with reports
from people with different hardware has helped my understanding immensely.

Because video issues seem to be the hot item right now, I spent some
time investigating.  After experimenting with different builds, modes,
themes, and LCD screens, I've discovered a single group of settings that
work with the GUI menu, 1080i content, and 720p content.  Interestingly
the settings are between 720p and 1080i and work well without matching
the native resolution of any of my LCD screens.

Following is the group of settings I discovered:

/boot/config.txt
----------------

hdmi_drive=2 # Normal HDMI mode (Sound will be sent if supported and
enabled)
hdmi_group=2 # DMT
hdmi_mode=39 # 1360x768 60 Hz

I live in Canada with 60 Hz AC power.  I'm not sure if a different mode
is needed for those in countries with 50 Hz AC power.

Mythfrontend Settings
---------------------

Use the mythfrontend *Setup -> Appearance* menu to alter the *GUI width
(pixels)* and *GUI height (pixels)* values to match the resolution you
chose for /boot/config.txt.

GUI width (pixels):  1360
GUI height (pixels):  768
GUI X offset:           0
GUI Y offset:           0

These values worked well on the following displays:

- 1920x1080 60 Hz 42" LG LCD TV
- 1920x1080 60 Hz 28" Benq LCD monitor
- 1680x1050 60 Hz 22" Benq LCD monitor

airdrummer,

If I recall you have a LCD screen with 4K resolution.

Would it be possible for you to test the above group of settings?

The highest resolution screen I have is 1920x1080 so I am unable to test
anything higher.

Curtis