[mythtv-users] New Install package for MythTV 0.27 on Raspberry Pi 2 Jessie

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 18:16:06 UTC 2016

> On Mar 12, 2016, at 11:26 AM, Peter Bennett (cats22) <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On 03/11/2016 05:02 PM, jrh wrote:
>> I am having 3 problems:
>>
>> one of them has been mentioned in this the previous thread, that being I have to run it using sudo.  I think there is something related to fonts since I see a bunch of errors in the log before it fails and goes to the setup screen for mythbackend connections.
> Please try shutdown the frontend and remove the .mythtv directory or
> directories as follows (assuming you used pi as your user id:
> sudo rm -rf /home/pi/.mythtv
> sudo rm -rf /root/.mythtv
>
> Make sure your user has the audio and video groups. If you logon as pi
> that should already be correct.
>
> Then make sure your backend is running, run startx (without sudo) to get
> into X, then select Mythtv Frontend from the Sound and video group on
> the menu.
>
> Definitely you should not run it under sudo.

I took the advice of Curtis( Thanks Curtis!) and nuked/paved my SD card, re-installed your latest .27.6 deb package and things now work well without sudo even including the audio problem below. I think it also took care of the menu problem as well.

Much thanks for your effort in porting this to the Rpi!

By the way, It works acceptably on the RPI 3 without using the mpg2 license for OPENMAX when watching MPG2 content recorded OTA here in the US for both 1080i as well as 720p.

I am amazed how well it works without the MPG2 license AND using the wifi connection and not the wired connection!

I do have a mpg2 license inbound to see the difference between using it and just using the ffmpeg software codec.

Again, thanks much Peter!