[mythtv-users] MythWeb: ASX stream or direct download (over ADSL)?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Mar 8 23:47:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, 12 May 2015, James Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 11 May 2015, James Miller wrote:
>
>> I'm gathering from what I read at the forum postings found at
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1996749.html and
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1486097.html that additional
>> credential entry, once the asx link has been clicked on in the MythWeb
>> interface, is handled by the player that's been configured to deal with the
>> stream. I infer from those posts that vlc handles the additional credential
>> entry just fine. I have not tried vlc and cannot confirm that this
>> interpretation is correct, since vlc is not installed on my portable
>> (laptop) test-rig. I have, however, tried playing the asx stream with
>> gmplayer and smplayer, which, according to my tests, seem not to handle the
>> additional credential entry. Anyone else have input on this issue?
>
> I broke down and installed vlc so as to test this issue further. Sure enough,
> when I tell the browser to handle the stream using vlc, that player, once it
> starts, pops up an additional log-in window. Once I re-enter my credentials
> there, the asx stream begins playing. So it seems as though, if
> authentication for MythWeb/Apache is enabled, a media player that can handle
> an additional entry of log-in credentials is what will be needed for this to
> work. Neither smplayer or gnome-mplayer (which I erroneously referred to
> above as gmplayer) appear to be able to handle the additional entry of log-in
> credentials. I should mention in that respect that, even using the modified
> URL to which Dennis referred, that has user name and password incorporated,
> smplayer and gnome-mplayer would not play the asx stream for me. Only vlc,
> among the players I tested, appears to handle the authentication correctly.

A very belated reply to my own thread with what seems like a resolution to
one of the issues about which I was inquiring back then. While trying to
troubleshoot a different issue resulting from a recent upgrade from Apache
2.2 to 2.4, I ran across this relevant information, found in the
mythweb.conf file:

# If you intend to use authentication for MythWeb (see below), you will
# probably also want to uncomment the following rules, which disable
# authentication for MythWeb's download URLs so you can properly stream
# to media players that don't work with authenticated servers.
#
#    <LocationMatch .*/pl/stream/[0-9]+/[0-9]+>
#        Allow from all
#    </LocationMatch>
#
#    <LocationMatch .*/music/stream.php>
#        Allow from all
#    </LocationMatch>