[mythtv-users] Nvidia ION unreliable HDHR Prime at gigabit speeds

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:09:52 UTC 2016

Hi Douglas,

On 3/8/16 3:54 PM, Douglas wrote:
> The fact that the driver is telling you that it dropped all of those
> packets suggests to me that it received them before dropping them. If
> they were wrong then I would expect the error counter to reflect that or
> for them to be silently "not received".

You might be confusing my posts with somebody else.  Or perhaps you're
responding to somebody other than me.    I never posted anything about
driver-reported dropped frames.

What I reported is that hdhomerun_config when using the "save" command
will report 'n' chars instead of all '.s'.  e.g.:

$ hdhomerun_config <ID> save /tuner0 /dev/null
nn...n..nnn..n.s.n^C

The real-world symptoms are that HDHR-originated video is glitchy when
the network is running at Gigabit speeds.

> As for the ION, if you're not using the VDPAU in it then you could be
> using more CPU for video decoding leaving less for Ethernet and slowing
> your program loop rate.
>
> Look at your CPU utilisation and pay attention to the possibility that
> one core is 100%. Play with iperf/iperf3, which has a few knobs you can
> twiddle, between frontend and backend.

I'm using VDPAU, and my CPU is mostly idle when performing the above
test, and even when using MythTV.

-WD