[mythtv-users] Frontend running on Intel i5-6200U (HD 520)

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:54:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie <
stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:

> On 03/03/16 17:26, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > What's the current situation with mythtv on intel video? I looked
> > through the wiki as best I could but it all seems very dated.
> >
> > I'm looking at upgrading the wife's laptop from a 4 year old AMD/ATI
> > system to an Intel i5-6200U.
> >
> > The frontend USED to work fine on the old one but at some point things
> > broke and I have been unable to figure it out so for about the last year
> > she's been using the ASX stream in VLC instead from mythweb.
> >
> > I'm assuming the laptop will have the horsepower for software
> > deinterlace but I was curious what hardware acceleration options were
> > available now-a-days on intel hardware.
> >

> The IntelHD hardware works well for me on both my laptops and
> on the prod frontend (Intel NUC i3)
>
> Depending on the generation of the hardware you will get at minimum
> mpeg2 decoding by the hardware (via VAAPI), and on the chip you
> mention you should get h264 as well.
>
> vainfo will tell you the profiles your card supports.

Thanks for the response! It ended up not mattering though. By the time I
went to go buy the laptop it went up $30 (original vendor ran out of stock
on amazon) so I ended up getting a recertified laptop from monoprice.com
for $100 less.

It's an FX-8800 which on cpu benchmarks is slightly more powerful than the
6200U with Radeon R7 graphics. Hopefully it works OK.

Thanks,
Richard