[mythtv-users] judder problems with nvidia 358.16

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 08:45:02 UTC 2016

Hi

On Tuesday, 8 March 2016, Marius Schrecker <marius.schrecker at lyse.net>
wrote:

> Stupid of me not to check that! The GUI refresh rates are the NVIDIA
> "false" rates: 50Hz, 51 Hz, 52 Hz, etc..

That's what your problem is then, 50Hz is the closest to 23.93. So myth is
doing the right thing as far as its concerned.

Which version of Xrandr do you have installed?

Myth only supports 1.2 or the nvidia X extension(libnvctrl) , but this
needs to be installed and present.
Normally the nvidia installer would install it automatically.

If you completely clear any nvidia drivers and install from nvidia official
installer. Does it work?

When starting X do you see any error about not being able to load the
nvctrl X extension?

Do you see anything in mythtv log about being enable to access it?

That would explain why you are seeing this.

An alternative is to disable nvidia TwinView; then the refresh rates
reported to Xrandr will be the real ones (though as Xrandr 1.4 and earlier
can only deal with integers, you will only get things like 24, 25, 30 50,
60, not 59.997)

> Then it will automatically set your screen to the right refresh rate,
> provided your screen supports it.
>
> (To test if changing refresh rate works, when you play with xrandr do you
> see the refresh rate the screen is getting changing?)
>

> Xrandr reports and sets the real refresh rates (confirmed with TV)
>

> In the meantime I also added the mythuser (login user) to audio and set up
> limits.conf as per the wiki.

Don't need that IMHO.
Those instructions were written like 10 years ago, all obsolete with the
new audio stack which was added like in 2009 or something!