[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi works! Thanks Lawrence

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 17:00:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 1:06 AM Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>> Overall though, I think I can safely say that MythFrontend on a Raspberry
>> Pi is a reality and is entirely usable today.  I will be installing one
>> immediately on the second most used TV in the house and suspect that it
>> will be much better received by the family than Kodi has been.
>>
>> Thanks a ton Lawrence!
>>

> What issues did they have with Kodi? I've been thinking about doing a
> frontend theme for Kodi since theme wise it's more capable than
> mythfrontend.

I’ve been using Kodi for a while.  The video playback quality via my rPi2
is excellent.  But, I’m not crazy about the Kodi UI/UX.  I posted a summary
a few months ago (
http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2015-November/383134.html )
and the UX issues still apply.

I would love to see a theme for Kodi that would make it more like MythTV.
Although I’m not sure if all of those things can be controlled in a theme.
  All of the themes I’ve tried had aspects of Kodi menu/navigation. The
silly slide out drawer and play/pause cluster popping up in the UI..   It
seems like it’s expecting mouse input rather than a living room / remote
control UI.