[mythtv-users] Intel Graphics No Signal when TV Turned On Over HDMI

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 4 16:20:21 UTC 2016

On 03/04/2016 10:21 AM, Daniel Frey wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 6:43 AM Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

>>> that should still not cause a crash though..
>> Perhaps we need to log a warning when people have
>> setup a vaapi profile and are using the qt painter,
>> then ignore the vaapi profile and use software decode?
> Should the painter be set to Auto by default as well?

Yes and no.  Yes, it should--that's what it was meant for.  No, we
probably can't.  The problem is that the Auto setting checks to see if
direct-rendering OpenGL is available and, if so, uses the OpenGL paint
engine.  However, too many broken drivers and broken "pretend to be a
real computer" systems (i.e. using virtual machines, etc.) lie and say
that direct rendering is available even when it's not. The best case
when this happens is that the UI is extremely (unbearably) slow.  The
worst (and, seemingly, more common) case is that the UI doesn't work at
all--so the user either sees nothing or mythfrontend/mythtv-setup just
shut down.

So, Auto is only really helpful for a system where the user wants
OpenGL, and it's smart enough that when they do something like use X
window forwarding or VNC (but not :0 VNC, i.e. Windows-like VNC) to
start up a UI to make a quick settings change or similar from another
display, it will use the Qt painter so that the UI is fast.

We actually had Auto set as the default for a while, but so many broken
systems were completely unable to use MythTV until they changed the raw
setting value that it was determined to be worse than just using Qt
paint engine (which always works--though generally doesn't work well and
is lacking many features compared to OpenGL paint engine) as the default.

Better than switching the default paint engine to Auto would be
completely dropping all support for the Qt paint engine and requiring a
system with proper OpenGL support, but that's a whole other argument
because too many people want to use broken systems for MythTV.

Mike