[mythtv-users] Nvidia ION unreliable HDHR Prime at gigabit speeds

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 17:25:11 UTC 2016

Hoi Mike,

>>> Yes. That was the whole point of this thread.  Really only noticeable with
>>> the HDHR at gigabit speeds though, due to no retransmission and UDP.
>>>

>> I've made some changes which appear on the surface to have improved things
>>
>> I've disabled ipv6 on both my frontend & backend (Backend previously was
>> disabled but was re-enabled after I recently upgraded to 14.04)
>> and I've enabled jumbo packets on both the frontend and backend (once again
>> this was previously enabled prior to the upgrade but appears Network Manger
>> does not honour this anymore)
>> however on the ION frontend (zbox-id31dvd-plus) the max jumbo frames
>> supported is 7000 however the backend is set to 9000 (really they should be
>> the same) and your switch should also support and/or be configured for
>> jumbo frames.
>>
>> I seem to no longer get a long delay when starting playback and even
>> launching recordings and videos seems alot quicker.
>>
>> I'll need to monitor over time though for dropped packets however since
>> enabling dropped packets has only increased by 11 during 1.5GB of RX
>> transfers.
>>
>> $ ifconfig eth0 | grep "RX packets"
>>            RX packets:31758537 errors:0 dropped:21144 overruns:0 frame:0
>>
>> the previous 21133 dropped packets was over 41.7GB of RX transfers
>>
> If your boxes are used only for mythfrontend / backend then I would strongly suggest getting rid of
> Network Manager. It is designed mainly for laptops and other
> devices which are likely to gain, lose
> and switch network connectivity on a regular basis. If you either have a hardwired ethernet
> connection or a simple wireless link then it is unnecessary.

> Network Manager can interfere with even the most straightforward connection and provides an extra
> unwanted and unnecessary layer of software. I found that it would
> regularly drop a wired connection
> after an hour for no obvious reason at all.

> You can set up a simple configuration in /etc/interfaces with
> either a static IP or DHCP and poof!
> no more need for Network Manager.

I fully agree! I don't even use networkmanager on my laptop. It is
ment for dummies, so you don't have to do anything to get your network
up, but as with all does PnP solutions they come with a payload and do
not take into account any less mainstream situations.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop