[mythtv-users] Comcast MPEG4 requirements?

Jon Heizer jheizer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:53:40 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 7:25 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 6:00 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> > Just did a rescan on my HDHR. Yup, CMT has dropped off but Spike is
> still there. And hey, 820 OWN has decided to show up.
>
> Well, if one has one of the (slightly) more expensive packages,
> or lives in certain locations, Spike is still available.  In many
> areas, CMT now requires the "sports package" add-on pack.
> This made a lot of press in certain locations and on the
> "usual" forums.
>
> The announcement can be seen at:  http://my.xfinity.com/channelhelp/
>
> As I believe you are in CA, you should now require the
> digital preferred package to receive Spike (if you have
> only digital starter, and your scan shows Spike still
> available, I would try to actually tune the channel to
> see if you can actually tune and receive it).

I just switched to Comcast and cable card yesterday so I was curious about
this.  I have a ton of h264 stations in central IL.  Spot checking,
Velocity, CNN, A&E, History, AMC, BBCA, etc

Ones I noticed were mpeg2 still were ESPN and CNBC.

The file sizes are crazy small.  About 1/3 of what the same show was via my
HD-PVR.

Jon