[mythtv-users] Intel Graphics No Signal when TV Turned On Over HDMI

Daniel Frey dmfrey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 13:38:41 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 5:53 AM Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net>
wrote:

> On 29/02/16 19:02, Daniel Frey wrote:
>
> > On a side note, I noticed with this low power SoC box, things like the
> > VAAPI playback profile do not work, rather, just use the Normal profile
> > and it seems to playback just fine, no artifacting or tearing. Is that
> > the case with these types of boxes? VAAPI profile just kills
> > Mythfrontend. Put it on Normal and it plays just fine and only bumps the
> > CPU to about 32%.
> >

> Can you expand and explain "VAAPI profile just kills mythfrontend"??
>
> Does it crash?
> Or just not work?
>
> Sounds like there is something here that needs fixing.
>

> Regards
> Stuart

When I set th VAAPI playback profile in the setup wizard and attempted to
play the Big Buck Bunny sample, myth frontend just crashes. There was no
error message in the mythfrontend log. This was on an SD video as well, not
even the HD one in the wizard. On a previous install it would do the same,
crash the frontend, but the audio would be playing.  I have since blown
away that install and replaced it with this current one (mythbuntu 16.04
beta 1).

I needed to use the beta because the version of kernel in prior releases
doesn't support the Intel Braswell architecture. First attempt was with a
Xubuntu 15.10 with manual upgrade to kernel 4.4. The 16.04 beta 1 has that
kernel already.

If I had to guess, I would say the issue is with the intel graphics
driver.  If there is anything you would like me to try, I would be glad to
try to reproduce and see if I can get any log info to share.