[mythtv-users] Cheap HDMI capture

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 09:16:32 UTC 2016

Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> So no discussion of the HDCP issue then? How about asking "Are you using this device successfully with a cable company STB on Myth?" Or "Does this device replace an HDPVR?"

I think the idea has to be "tread carefully and responsibly".

It's not that anyone objects to reasonable use of MythTV per se, but given that the DMCA in the USA basically allows wealthy bodies to fire off legal salvos with little risk or cost to themselves, we need to be careful to avoid discussions that may lead such bodies to think that their cash flow is threatened.

So, for example, if one of the cable companies thought that we were discussing methods to break their protections, they can send a DMCA notice to the hosting provider and have the web site and mailing lists taken offline. The hosting provider won't ask questions* - they'll just nuke the services and leave the MythTV admins to argue for re-instatement.
I believe they can also start legal proceedings against anyone they think is aiding or supporting such activities - that means any MythTV developers they feel like attacking. It costs a lot of money (and time and hassle) even if you win in court - even if the case is frivolous, so best not to go there.

So if you could find yourself in court, facing well armed and very well funded opponents, would you want everyone to be careful how they discuss stuff ?

* Basically, there are significant penalties for not acting on a DMCA notice - but no effective penalties for abusing them. Which is why they have become a weapon of choice (often illegally automated) for those who would destroy opposition/choice/whatever using death by a thousand cuts.

So are the two questions you suggest OK ? Very grey area IMO - both could be construed as permitting/supporting "piracy" and land the project (and anyone involved in it) into trouble.