[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios QIP7100 2 occasionally turns itself off, 6200ch always thinks it's on

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jun 29 05:05:50 UTC 2016

> > Could it be temperature related?  I know there were some hardware
> revisions
> > related to heat on these.  Mine are all running with the covers removed
> and
> > good air circulation.
>
> Excellent point.  Hauppauge and heat is a "well known" issue.
> While I no longer have any Hauppage devices, all the ones I
> did own (both internal and external) had heat related failure
> modes (often "random" stuff).  But as all of my Hauppauge
> devices were designed before (about) 2007 I had no personal
> experience of the HD-PVR.  Good to see that Hauppauge
> has maintained their tradition (of being heat challenged)

Yeah there are tons of sites/posts about heat issues on the hdpvr, fan
mods, etc. Definitely worth testing.

Additionally, when is the last time you connected these to a Windows PC to
update their firmware?  AFAIK, it can only be done that way.  If you never
have, it may be worth doing.  You can see the firmware version in
dmesg/syslog... but I don't recall what the most recent version
is(according to what is reported there, which is different than the windows
driver version).