[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios QIP7100 2 occasionally turns itself off, 6200ch always thinks it's on

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 01:35:43 UTC 2016

On 6/24/16 7:04 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> I've taken the connector from my HD-PVR wall wart and spliced it onto
> molex red/black wires.  So far so good!   I'll probably know within a
> week or so whether or not it fixes my problem.    Thanks to you and Gary
> for the ideas!

For the record, I've experienced the same trouble with the HD-PVR
running off of my computer's PSU as I did with it running off of its
6-year-old wall wart.   That is, the unit occasionally gets stuck on
with the recording light on, but it and /dev/video0 are not accessible.

Given that I think I've eliminated the power supply as the cause of the
problem, I suppose that leaves possibly the increased device load (being
triggered once an hour with my STB power checking script) as the cause
of the problem.

Which, if true, leaves me in the situation where I can have a system
that periodically checks if my STB is powered on which ironically can
trigger the state where my mythtv box cannot record from that source
anymore.   Or I don't regularly check if the STB is on, and then the STB
being off might be a cause for failed recordings.

So for now I think I'm going to disable the hourly
STB-power-via-cat-/dev/video0 status check and just see how well the STB
does on its own power-wise.  I can't imagine that Verizon would push out
firmware updates too often.  Plus I figure I can shift the recording
priority to the HDHR, leaving the HD-PVR for just the shows on
copy-protected channels.

-WD