[mythtv-users] I could use some help with Schedules Direct and/or XMLTV

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Mon Jun 27 06:13:29 UTC 2016

On June 27, 2016 3:23:01 AM WEST, E James <e_james at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>There are many large holes in my knowledge and understanding of Linux,
>MythTV, MYSQL, XML, XMLTV and Schedules Direct.
>
>I stumbled on an actual JSON file on an unrelated web site and started
>some experimental coding. The radiotimes data is essentially just a
>variation of CSV and the JSON format is significantly more complex, but
>I estimate between 4 and 10 hours work would be sufficient to write the
>necessary ObjectPal code. That part is easy in comparison to the
>problem of obtaining the JSON format schedule data to process. So far
>the story goes like this --
>
>tv_grab_sd_json is part of XMLTV and XMLTV uses data from Schedules
>Direct. XMLTV is a Schedules Direct approved application. The terms and
>conditions of Schedules Direct expressly forbid the use of unapproved
>applications and the extraction of schedule data from approved
>applications and the archiving of data from Schedules Direct which are
>all things I might want to do. So it looks as if tv_grab_sd_json is a
>non-starter.

I haven't looked closely at the Schedules Direct T&Cs and I don't know exactly what it is you're trying to do, but it does sound like they might not be legally compatible, even if you do use XMLTV. It's history now, but it's worth pointing out that even the old radiotimes feed said it was for "personal use only" or something similar, so might also have not been compatible.

As you say, EIT might be possible. I don't really know the legal position on archiving that, it that's what you want to do. I guess EIT data is copyrighted like everything else. It's probably no more illegal to archive EIT than it is to record programs and archive those, so I'll leave that up to your, or others, interpretation.

John