[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios QIP7100 2 occasionally turns itself off, 6200ch always thinks it's on

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Jun 23 06:48:47 UTC 2016

> > My 4 hdpvr and 4 STBs all run off a single ATX power supply. No power
> > glitches for me.  Wasn't hard to put together, and it's rock solid, and
> > likely more efficient than 8 wall warts would have been.
>

> Hmm,  wonder if I can tap into the existing PSU that's inside of my
> MythTV box?

For one or two HDPVR's, almost certainly.

What I did was grab a couple of these molex splitters:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=1313
and a couple of these pigtails:
https://www.amazon.com/HDVD-trade-10pack-5-5mm-Pigtail/dp/B00D36MC0E

Just cut the female ends of the molex splitter off, and solder or crimp the
red wire of the pigtail to a yellow wire (12v) on the splitter, and the
black wire of the pigtail to one of the black wires on the splitter.  kinda
like this: http://i.imgur.com/2NOiiJY.png.  You can add some lamp cord or
speaker wire in between if you need some length.

If I remember correctly the HDPVR uses about 2A at 12V, so about 24 watts
max... assuming you have a decent power supply in you myth server, it
should be able to power a couple of them safely.