[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios QIP7100 2 occasionally turns itself off, 6200ch always thinks it's on

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 21:58:30 UTC 2016

On 1/24/16 3:19 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> There have been other discussions (and contributions of code) about
> testing for a blank image to determine if the box is really on or
> off, and whether to issue the power toggle.  Check the archives.

I've been using a modified version of said script, but I'm now noticing
that the HD-PVR is occasionally getting stuck with the recording light
on, though nothing is being recorded.   Looking at dmesg shows this,
which may have happened around the same time of it getting stuck:

[290135.351133] hdpvr 1-2:1.0: device video0 disconnected

I just recently noticed in <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR>:

> Caveats
>
> Once the tuner has been added as an encoder in MythTV, it is vital
> that the user not access the tuner in outside programs such as cat,
> VLC, and mplayer.

If true, I'm guessing that the script (which I have running hourly via
cron) to check the status of the cable box might actually be causing the
HD-PVR problem.   Does this seem plausible?

If so, then perhaps I have to choose between HD-PVR and STB reliability.
 :-/

-WD