[mythtv-users] transcode mp4 to mythtv playback capable file

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Mon Jun 20 15:35:21 UTC 2016

I have a number of mp4 files screengrabbed by nvidia shadowplay on a windows machine but cannot get my FE to play them.

Doing a search i've seen a number of half-information threads on using VLC/external mythtv players, but you cant use SG's with them.Ssome have wrote scripts etc to replace the SG with a fileshare path.
seems a bit long winded and i dont have a file share to the mythtv storage folders so would mean a lot of work.

has anyone gone the transcode path? ffmpeg would be ideal since it's all setup on my BE.
My other problem is i've already tried a few transcode jobs - h264&mp3 audio, h264&aac, mpeg2 and i keep coming back to "file cannot be played". vlc codec info on the file sugests the video and audio codecs are identical between these converted mp4 and some other mkv's i have that do work fine. VLC also plays the converted mp4's fine too. I'm obviously missing something specific to mythtv playback.
Any help?