[mythtv-users] DVB T2 HD started in Germany

Bjoern Voigt bjoernv at arcor.de
Sat Jun 4 19:28:13 UTC 2016

Andre MythTV wrote:
> However I was concerned about this part of the article:
>
> "Freenet TV will employ a cardless encryption system from Irdeto”
>
> This suggests MythTV (or the receiver driver) would need support for Irdeto’s cardless system!
Yes. Currently the situation is not only unclear for MythTV, but also
for other PC based media centers and digital video recorder software.
There isn't even tested PC hardware e.g. TV PCI cards or TV USB cards
for DVB-T2 HD.

In Germany we have two restrictions for encrypted TV content. I am not
sure, but I doubt, that this restrictions are optional, but they can be
enforced by the private TV channel:

  * Fast-forward is disabled (so you can't skip especially the advertising)
  * video editing on PC is disallowed

Source:
http://www.digitalfernsehen.de/FAQ-Das-muessen-Sie-ueber-DVB-T2-HD-wissen.140040.0.html
(under "Restriktionen", the text is in German)

Both restrictions are difficult to ensure on all PC solutions. But in
Open Source programs it is not possible.

Until now, I haven't tested PC based decoding solutions, e.g. for DVB-C
or DVB-S.

May be, other mailing list members have some experiences.

Greetings,
Björn