[mythtv-users] Need nvidia driver recommendation

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Fri Jul 29 22:27:16 UTC 2016

On 7/29/2016 6:08 PM, John Marshall wrote:
> On 7/29/2016 4:43 PM, Don Brett wrote:
>> I have MythBuntu 14.04 with Mythfronend version: fixes/0.27
>> (v0.27.6.27-g378dc8).  The existing nvidia GT710 was freezing up, so I
>> temporarily installed a GT220 (with lots of driver challenges). Now I
>> need to install a new EVGA-Geforce GT720.
>>
>> I'm a little confused;  it looks like I could use something called
>> Nouveau, or Nvidia proprietary drivers, or use apt-get to install
>> drivers (not sure I can get the right driver with apt-get). Does anyone
>> have a recommendation for this board?  If I use one method, do I have to
>> do a purge or turn others off?
>>
>> Don
>>
>> PS - I did all kinds of stuff to get the GT220 to work...maybe have to
>> purge something?
>
> According to the supported products page, it looks like you need at
> least v340 for that card: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
>
> Nouveau is an open-source driver, but isn't feature complete,
> especially on newer cards.  You'll probably have better luck with the
> proprietary drivers.  You should be able to install them with
> apt-get/Synaptic. Look for nvidia-graphics-drivers-340-updates (or one
> with a higher number).
>
> You can also install this PPA to get better/newer choices, which is
> what I've done on my very similar system.
> https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>
> I've never really had any issues with my NVidia cards (several cards,
> all *buntu systems), but here's a good page for reference:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

I agree, Nvidia is usually pretty painless.  Apparently, Nouveau is
installed and running.  Do I  have to blacklist it before installing
proprietary Nvidia drivers?

don at andy:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT216
[GeForce GT 220] [10de:0a20] (rev a2)
         Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device [19da:1132]
         Kernel driver in use: nouveau
don at andy:~$

---