[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not working

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 27 10:45:50 UTC 2016

On 07/26/2016 10:20 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 07/26/2016 08:43 PM, Ken Bass wrote:
>>
>> | MythFillMaxHour                    |
>> 22                                              |
>> NULL                  |
>> | MythFillMinHour                    |
>> 20                                              |
>> NULL                  |
> > | MythFillSuggestedRunTime           |
> 2016-07-26T16:36:22Z                            | NULL                  |
>
> Pretty short window, but it you're in EDT, looks like it would/should
> have run.

Maybe it's too early in the morning, but to me it looks like it
shouldn't run.  The window says to only run it between 8 and 10:59pm
local time and since EDT is -0400, that would mean the suggested run
time was 12:36:22 local.

The difference (reason that it worked on earlier versions) is that--for
some reason users complained that MythTV should honor the
mythfilldatabase run period even if they've selected to run at the
suggested time--so current MythTV does so; whereas older versions used
to ignore the run period.  Therefore, MythTV will only run
mythfilldatabase if the suggested run time happens to be within the run
period; otherwise, it must wait until you re-run mythfilldatabase and
get a new suggested run time.  This actually breaks a lot of people's
systems.  Again, unless it's too early in the morning and I'm wrong, it
looks to me like it was not, which is why MythTV isn't running
mythfilldatabase for you--you've told it not to.  If that's the case,
yours is one of the systems broken by that change.

So, to fix it, shut down all MythTV applications*** and go into
mythtv-setup and change "Guide data program execution start" and "Guide
data program execution end" to 0 and 23 respectively.

Mike

*** You need to shut down MythTV to run mythtv-setup, so you have to
shut down all MythTV applications to change the mythfilldatabase run
period.  It used to be you didn't have to because the mythfilldatabase
settings--like all those that didn't require a backend restart--were in
the mythfrontend settings manager. However, users complained that
"mythfilldatabase has nothing to do with mythfrontend so its settings
shouldn't be in mythfrontend settings", so now the mythfilldatabase
settings are buried in mythtv-setup which requires a backend shutdown.
Unfortunately, people's lack of understanding of the fact that it was
mythfrontend settings manager as opposed to "mythfrontend settings" made
them complain until MythTV was made even more difficult to reconfigure.