[mythtv-users] OT: (a bit) Verizon router is it needed?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 15:45:48 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 11:20 PM, Kris Jensen <kris.jensen.knj at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <off_topic_for_this_list>
>
> > Is anyone knowledgeable on Verizon stuff? Is that statement correct ?
>
> The answer is, yes, you can use your own router, but
> depending on the specifics, it will likely cost you far
> more than the (one time) $60 that Verizon is charging
> for their newer router (no recurring charges with the
> new router, apparently).  So you have to decide if
> this is the way you want to invest your resources.
>
> Discussion
>
> Depending on your current connection, the old device
> is performing one or more of the following functions:
>
>   * Moca ethernet bridge
>   * NAT router functions
>   * Wireless connectivity

[snip]

As Gary says, it depends on your existing installation.  At my house (where
I now realize I got lucky with my configuration (this was some years ago
when FIOS was first offered in my neighborhood)), the ONT was installed
inside my basement, with ethernet going from the ONT to a Verizon-supplied
ActionTec wifi router, and coax going from the ONT to the STBs.  There was
also coax from the ONT going to the router.  Whether this was for guide
info or on-demand functionality, I don't know.

Anyway, when I got the SiliconDust + cable card, it was a simple matter of
disconnecting the Verizon router and replacing it with my own.  I returned
my STB a long time ago.  A friend of mine who recently did a similar
transition told me that Verizon customer support could not get their head
around a customer not having a STB and their efforts to return theirs were
an exercise in frustration for a time.

> </off_topic_for_this_list>

-Jerry