[mythtv-users] OT: (a bit) Verizon router is it needed?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:15:00 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:16 AM, Kris Jensen <kris.jensen.knj at gmail.com> wrote:

<offtopic>

> Right now the Verizon router is only being as a "dumb router"

It is possible that all you then need is the Moca bridge directly
into your own appliance.  But given all the variation that you
might have, that is not assured.

> Getting wires to the ONT is not a problem. I wired my house.

Outside wiring is different.  At least if you want to meet code
regarding lightning and other issues.  Your coax cable is
bonded to your residential electrical system (well, at least
it is nominally supposed to be, although some techs might
not have done the right thing (I seem to recall a review of
installs showed a much higher than reasonable install failure
rate)), and your Ethernet cable also would require appropriate
lightning protection (in most jurisdictions, that likely means
a  UL 497 protection device, which usually not cheap all by
itself)  Personally, I also isolate via (essentially back-to-back)
fiber converters to eliminate any possibility of issues.

</offtopic>