[mythtv-users] Ubuntu-mate on Raspberry pi and mythtv library problems

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Jul 20 19:20:32 UTC 2016

> Unfortunately, Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi is somewhat buggy on the
> hardware
> support side. CEC and OpenGL ES are not working either. I have only
> used
> analog sound for testing Raspberry Pi Ubuntu. Multimedia support is
> much
> better with Raspbian.

> The boot/config.txt in Ubuntu has detailed documentation in the form
> of
> comments. I would look there to see if you can find anything for
> activating HDMI audio.

> So my recommendation is Raspbian.

Went back to Raspbian, as suggested, and have the OS configured
optimally, and mildly overclocked.

Still having lots of problems with the Myth frontend on the Pi 3
(running the latest 0.28 under Raspbian):

It seems to take a long time to read the Videos database on my backend
system downstairs (takes about 10-15 seconds before I get the list of
files, and it takes a long time to move between directories (granted, I
have a lot of files, but it's 10x slower than on the BE/FE machine)).

Sound (which works fine with all other applications, upgrades to
5.1/HDMI, even though it says it's only analog) does NOT work well in
Myth.  It doesn't play at all on recordings.  On videos (e.g. copies of
ripped Blu_Rays/DVDs) it does play (using OpenMAX HDMI), but choppy
(though that might be due to the poor video playback).

Video playback is very choppy on some .avi/.mp4 files (movies, as
above) but is pretty smooth on 720p; 1080p is basically un=playable.
I've used both OpenMAX Normal and OpenMAX High Quality.  No real
difference.

To restate:  Video playback is OK on recorded programs, but no sound.
There is sound on video (720p) .avi/mp4 files in the video library, but
video playback is lousy; on 1080p, it's unwatchable.

I have the license keys, and have placed them in the /boot/config.txt
file.

Now...I went ahead and installed Kodi on it to see how it does with
playback.   Perfect - clean, smooth video and 5.1 audio on all files
tested (including 1080p with DTS and Dolby Digital sound).
So, I know it's not a configuration issue with the Pi.  I must have
Myth misconfigured.

What are the optimal settings in Setup to get sound and video playback
working right on Myth on the Pi 3 on Jessie?  I'd really like to get
this working cleanly.

Thanks very much, in advance - Bob