[mythtv-users] Directv Genie channel control

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 16:19:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:06 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been happily using my Directv H20s for the last 15 years.  They are
> old enough that they do not have ethernet ports, and I have been using the
> USB ports to control the channel.
>
> Directv has been offering to upgrade me to a Genie. I am sure they want me
> to get the full Genie with DVR, but I was thinking about asking for the
> Genie Lite combined with a Genie Mini.  I see on the wiki that channel
> control should work via ethernet:
>

> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_(STB)_via_Network
>
> I just wanted to know if there is anything I should be aware of when
> requesting the new equipment from Directv.  For example, has anyone tried
> this with a Genie Lite?
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> John

I called Directv to upgrade to a Genie Lite + Genie Mini.  I was first told
that the upgrade would cost $99, but I could get the non-lite version of
the Genie for free.  I asked why the Genie Lite was not free.  The
representative talked to her manager and was told that the Lite had been
discontinued.  Huh?   My guess for the $99 fee, is that they don't get to
charge me $10/month for the DVR 'service'.

John