[mythtv-users] Hauppage TV Card for encrypted cable signal

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Jul 20 13:18:34 UTC 2016

> I was about to go with: WinTV-HVR-2255 until i found out that the cable
> service is encrypted.

If you have encrypted cable and want HD then your only options are the
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime (which *may* work depending on whether the
provider is providing content as Copy Freely), or the Hauppauge HDPVR
1212.

> The cable uses Boxes like the Nextbox HD 4642 HD
>
> A few things I want/need for the tvcard are:
>  - Hardware decoder and encoder

There are no products that have hardware decoders anymore.  Nowadays
people rely on video cards with hardware accelerated playback (i.e.
Nvidia with VDPAU).

>  - Tv reception

Nope.

>  - FM Radio reception

Nope.

>  - Analog/digital cable support

The HDPVR 1212 only record HD component.  The Prime only does digital cable.

> Things that would be great to have:
>  - H264 1080i video/recording
>  - Also have digital reception support
>  - Dual input cable