[mythtv-users] System Events - Recording pending

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Jul 18 08:17:14 UTC 2016

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 18:16:25 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I’m trying to get more of a handle on system events and was wondering if anybody knew when the ‘Recording pending’ event runs (i.e. how long before the ‘Recording started’ event runs).  I wrote a simple script to print out the time when ‘Recording pending’ fired and, for a show starting at 5:30pm, the script ran at 5:28:11, 5:29:00 and 5:29:30.  So, does the pending event fire every 30 seconds or so starting roughly 2 minutes before the recording is scheduled?
>
>thanks for any help on this,
>
>Steve
>
>P.S. I’m running fixes/0.28, MythTV Version : v0.28-43-g04650e0

I am surprised that you would get multiple recording pending events
for the same recording.  I always presumed that the event would occur
when mythbackend started preparing for the recording, which varies
according to some of the settings, but typically would be one minute
before the time the recording is due to start.  I have a setting for
60 seconds of soft preroll, so what I normally see in mythbackend.log
for any recording is that mythbackend starts preparing for a recording
exactly two minutes before the scheduled start time.  I have always
presumed that the event would happen as soon as any activity in
preparation for the recording happened, so it would happen at that
time also.  There are various scripts around that use the recording
pending event, and there is nothing in any I have seen that suggests
that they need to cope with multiple recording pending events for the
same recording.  I have an old log from 2012-2013 where I had the
recording pending event set up on my mother's PC and it only shows one
pending event per recording.  But that would have been an older
version of MythTV.