[mythtv-users] remaining disk space / delete slowly

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Jul 15 23:12:58 UTC 2016

> > When Mythtv needs space for a recording, it will use any free space
> > first, then it will first delete
>
> Live TV recordings, then it will delete
>
> > recordings from the "deleted" recording group, then it will delete
>
> recordings.  If you have enabled the setting:
>
> Watched before unwatched
> If enabled, programs that have been marked as watched will be expired
> before programs that have not been watched.
>
> it will first delete
>
> > "watched" recordings
>
> without regard to when they were recorded or at what priority--even if
> it was recorded last night and you have other unwatched recordings
> recorded 10 years ago
>
> > , before finally starting to encroach on your unwatched recordings.
>
> Otherwise, it will delete recordings without regard to whether they have
> been marked as watched.
>
> > Priority and expiration rules come in to play at all stages of this
> > process.
>
> specifically based on your selections for the settings:
>
> Auto-Expire method
>   - Oldest show first
>   - Lowest priority first
>   - Weighted time/priority combination
> Method used to determine which recorded shows to delete first. Live TV
> recordings will always expire before normal recordings.
>
> and
>
> Priority weight
> The number of days bonus a program gets for each priority point. This
> is only used when the Weighted  time/priority Auto-Expire method is
> selected.
>
> (just a couple of clarifications... :)

Thanks Mike... I was intentionally being somewhat vague, just enough detail
to get my point across.  I suspect that if you were to flow-chart the
deletion logic, it would be even more complex than even you describe.  I
didn't want to get too detailed, cause then I would have to worry about
accuracy.

But the point remains... there are good reasons to let your drive sit full
of recordings and let myth manage their deletion... and I have yet to find
a strong reason not to, except maybe that it allows you to see free disk
space via standard is tools.