[mythtv-users] remaining disk space / delete slowly

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jul 13 08:31:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 8:07 PM, stinga < stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com
[stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com] > wrote:
On 13/07/16 02:37, James Linder wrote:
 > Can someone who KNOWS offer some explanation, this sounds like gibberish
 >
 > A file is an inode plus house heeping to say where in the hierarchical
tree (AKA the file system) it appears
 > A file consists of
 > 1 sector of pointers to data sectors
 > 1 sector of pointers to a sector of pointers to data sectors
 > 1 sector of pointers to a sector of pointers to a sector of pointers to
data sectors

 > during delete nothing happens to the sea of data sectors
 > Where does this huge I/O come from
 >
 > If you choose (say) ext4 file system then file extents replace the
traditional block mapping and journal overhead apply, and the devil in the
detail (which may explain long delete times)

It is an ext3 thing. It was slow on large files due to the way the data
is stored. Google will explain it for you.
If using ext3 then tick 'slow delete' otherwise leave it unticked.

Not sure what happens internally if you do a slow delete on a non-ext3
mount, hopefully it is ignored.

I don't think it hurts. JFS on my recording drives and slow deletes
enabled. No glitches.