[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 16.04 Fresh Install - always starts MythTV Setup on boot

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Wed Jul 13 00:02:56 UTC 2016

On 13/07/16 08:02, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Kingsley,
>
> Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 11:50:28 PM, you wrote:
>
>> G'day,
>> I migrated from Mythbuntu 14.04 to 16.04, and for the most part it's been
>> flawless.
>> I dumped my database, restored on a clean install, all good.
>> However, on reboot it always re-runs the MythTV Setup programme in a window.
>> If I exit this, and start the front-end manually everything is OK.
>> Screen-shot: http://208.92.232.73/Junk/1604_start.jpg
>> Any ideas why it's doing this?
>
> Very probably your network is not jet fully on when MythTV starts.
> There are many recent items on this subject in this list and I believe
> there is also something in the WIKI. In essence you have to make
> MythTV wait on the network.

Thanks for that Hika!

For me on Mythbuntu 16.04 it looks like the network is slow to start because
the network interface details are not set by the NetworkManager software
until the user-login is complete.

So to fix this, I:

Disabled the NetworkManager ~
|sudo stop network-manager|||
|    echo "manual" | sudo tee /etc/init/network-manager.override|
|Set the network interface to have static IP Address.  Note: you need to do
an "ifconfig" to see the (potentially new) name of your ethernet port.
Since the update, mine has become renamed from "eth0" to "enp6s0"

|Add to /etc/network/interfaces ~
     auto enp6s0
     iface enp6s0 inet static
     address 192.168.1.20