[mythtv-users] FrontEnd will connect if feels like it

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:43:16 UTC 2016

Hi Stephen (and to the others who replied -- I'll get to those replies
shortly - and thanks!)

> Is this happening when you start the frontend box?  If so, it may well
> be a race condition at startup, so mythfrontend is trying to connect
> before the network connection is up properly.

No re: startup issue.  This Frontend (running two others currently) can
be sitting at the Ubuntu Desktop (and for reference one of the other
Frontends is also configured for Ubuntu and click on the MythTV icon to
start that option -- it does fine), type 'mythfrontend' at Terminal and
will sometimes connect and sometimes not; seems like a lot more 'no
connects' then 'connects'.  So the overall network connections are
established, just this specific 'telephone line to the Backend' has
problem.   (Hopefully that metaphor didn't confuse the issue!)  And all
parts are run from various UPSs, should shouldn't be a power glitch
issue.

> Does the frontend box
> get its IPv4 address via DHCP?  If so, that often takes a lot longer
> than it takes for a box to get its link-local (fe80::) IPv6 address up
> and working.  So if mythfrontend tries to connect before DHCP has done
> its job, then it will only have an IPv6 address to try and will use
> that.  If this is what is happening, if you shut down and restart
> mythfrontend without rebooting the box, it should then connect
> normally as the IPv4 address will be available by then.

This Frontend (and the other Frontends) have a DHCP-assigned address,
Backend is static/assigned.  As noted above (and that detail was one of
many I neglected to state), I can start and restart Mythfrontend from
the command line, no rebooting of the machine itself, just reloading
Mythfrontend via command at Terminal.

> The solution is likely to be changing the settings in the file that
> starts mythfrontend so that it waits until after IPv4 networking is
> fully up.  Or maybe getting the entire desktop startup to wait for
> that.  I am still using 14.04 so I am just learning about systemd and
> how it starts things, so maybe someone else has already encountered
> this problem and can advise a good solution.  I have got a test 16.04
> box running but I am not yet sure where mythfrontend is started from.

Hey we're all learning! :)  I looked at "systemd" up there and read it
as "sys emd" instead of "system d"!  ...Tried in Terminal; retry with
sudo ==> "Trying to run at user instance, but $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not
set."  Uh, no idea!

Looked at the Connection Information  on the Frontend in question:  IPv4
and IPv6 is filled in.   OK. so check on the Backend: both IPv4 and IPv6
have "method - Automatic (DHCP)".